AYS 5001 – Introduction to Ayurveda
‘Introduction to Ayurveda’ is a course designed to provide ancomprehensive overview of Ayurveda. It is a 5,000-year- old system that has its origins in the Vedic culture of India. Its roots lies on the principle of organizing the fundamentals of life into proper systems ofnatural healing
More than a mere system of treatingillness, this is a science of life (Ayur = life; Veda = science or knowledge). It offers a body of wisdom
designed to help people stay vital while realizing their full human potential. Ayurveda offerspersonalized ways to achieve and maintain long-term wellness based on your unique combination offundamental energies.
According to Ayurveda, it is the imbalance of the vital energies that leads tothe development of disease. Ayurveda regards the individual components of physical existence, mental existence, and personality of a being as a correlated unit, with each element being able to influence the others Providing guidelines on ideal daily and seasonal routines, diet, behaviorand the proper use of our senses helps balance and maintain the health of the individual
‘Introduction to Ayurveda’ course provides a basic understanding of the terms and concepts used in this ancient system and reminds us that health is the balanced and dynamicintegration between our lifestyle, environment, body, mind, and spirit.
The fees for this course is $300.
Course Evaluation & Grading
This is a core course of HU Master’s and doctoral programs in Ayurveda. On successful completion, participants receive3 academic credits. Course evaluation is based upon the successful and timely completion of the two take home exams at week 7 and week 12. To earn a passing grade in this course one must obtain a grade of at least a “C”. The ultimate goal of the course is attaining the basic concepts about Ayurveda and an understanding of how it can influence the well being and health of an individual.
Fully Online Course Classes offered each semester 3 Credits
The distance-education course is delivered in 6 modules as below. Online classes run for 12 weeks each semester
- Purush Prakriti, Intro to Tridosha, Ayurveda Avataran
- The Dosha Theory
- The Three Gunas
- Agni, Concept of Ama, Concept of Mala, Dhatu Sara
- Agni and Ama: Introduction to Dhatus, Concept of Diagnosis: Tongue Diagnosis, VataDosha and Yoga Pulse reading and Pranayama
- Panchkarma and Marma Chakra
- Learn to use questionnaires that can help you determine which ayurvedic element is most lively in your nature (prakriti) and what elements are out of balance (vikruti).
Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing by Dr. Vasant LadISBN: 81-7866-132-2.
What will you learn
- How to incorporate Ayurvedic principles and a healthy daily and seasonal routine into your life with guidance from an experienced teacher
- Understand how to plan, prepare, and eat Ayurvedically, using ingredients, methods, and mealtime rituals that are uniquely suited to your constitution, age, climate and digestion.
Shivani Gupta, Ph.D.
Dr Shivani Gupta is an adoring wife, the proud mother of two healthy children, a relentless serial entrepreneur, and scholar of Ayurvedic medicine. Shivani studied business at Babson College in Boston, which is ranked #1 for entrepreneurship. She received a Master’s in Ayurveda from HUA and is currently pursuing a Ph.D. in Ayurvedic Studies.